Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Fruit Cobbler

Part of my job is to shoot and edit cooking videos, and yesterday I edited next week's video - peach cobbler. After that, I couldn't resist coming home and making a cobbler myself. We happened to have strawberries, blackberries and apricots on hand, so I simply googled "easy berry cobbler" and got a lot of results. I basically combined these two recipes, and added something from the video - chopped pecans in the batter. Here is the general idea - melt 1/4 cup butter in bottom of 8x8 baking dish. Mix 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder and 3/4 cup milk. Stir in pecans if desired (I probably used about a 1/2 cup) and pour over the butter in the pan, but do not stir. Top with 2-2 1/2 cups fruit. Sprinkle 1/4 sugar over top (you can use up to a cup depending on sweetness of the fruit) and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Here is what mine looked like going into the oven:
If I was going to do it over again, I would cut the milk down to about a half a cup. It took longer than 30 minutes to bake - probably closer to 45 - and I should have slipped a cookie sheet on the rack below because some of the juice spilled over and we got to hear our smoke detector for the first time. But, it was soooo delicious once it was finally done, especially served warm with vanilla ice cream!

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh this sounds divine! Thank you for sharing-I have some blueberries that have been waiting for a recipe like this.

    ReplyDelete